So you’ve got a video that’s taking up too much space on your device, and you’re looking to compress it? No worries! You can learn how to compress a video to solve your problem. Compressing can significantly reduce the size of your video file without sacrificing much quality.
Fortunately, video compression is a quick and easy process that can be done on all devices and using various tools. So in this article, we’re going to break down the easiest way to compress the video file through a PC and mobile phone. Let’s dive right in!
How To Compress A Video on Windows
If you are a Windows user, then you have three different methods to compress a video file. Let’s get a closer look at the guides and follow them!
Method 1. How To Reduce Your Video File With Built-in Video Editor
Did you know that Windows has an integrated video editor that allows you to compress video files? Follow the guide below to know how it works:
- Start over by opening the Start Menu and searching for Video Editor.
- Launch the app and hit the plus ‘+’ sign on the New video project to start a new project.
- Then, hit Add to upload the video you wish to compress.
- Right-click the video and select Place in the storyboard.
- Next up, hit the Finish video option in the upper-right corner.
- Navigate to the Video Quality option and select the resolution of your video.
- Once done, click Export.
- You’re all set.
Keep in mind that the resolution setting can affect the video quality. The lower the resolution, the lower the quality will be. But in case you want to compress a video without lowering the quality, you can learn how to do it here: How to Compress Video Without Losing Quality.
Method 2. How To Compress A Video Using VLC Media Player
VLC Media Player is broadly known as a popular video player which you can use to play movies or any videos. But it doesn’t only function as a movie player, but also as a basic video editing. That’s why you can try this software to reduce your video file. Here’s how to use it.
- First, make sure you have installed the VLC app on your device.
- If you have this app ready, open it.
- Hit the Media menu at the top and click Convert/Save.
- Then, click the Add button to add your video file, and click the Convert/Save button at the bottom.
- After that, choose the destination where you’ll save the video, set the Profile option, and click the Start button.
- In case you want to change the video resolution or make some other editings, click the spanner icon next to the Profile options
- Now, the compressing process is running for several seconds.
One quick note, you can save your edited video in various formats as the VLC Media Player offers you various file formats.
Method 3. Compressing Video File By Zipping It
Another way to reduce your video file is by using a ZIP or 7Zip archive. Here are the steps to convert your file into ZIP.
- Gather all the videos you want to compress into one folder on your PC.
- Select them, right-click, and select the ‘Send to > Compressed (zipped) folder.
- Windows will create a new, smaller archive in the same folder.
Note that this efficient method works for popular file types like MP4 on Windows 10. If you’re compressing only one video, follow step 2.
Reducing Video Files on Mac
Not all app that works on Windows also works on Mac. But don’t fret as there are tools available on Mac that can help you reduce the video file size easily. Let’s get to know them.
Method 1. How To Shrink A Video Using QuickTime Player
Similar to VLC Media Player, QuickTime is also a media player app. However, it has also the ability to save your video in a lower resolution. With that said, you can use this tool to compress the video file. Here’s how.
- Launch the QuickTime app on your device.
- Next up, navigate to File at the top and hit Export As.
- Select a resolution for your video.
- Select a folder to save your video.
- Finally, hit Save, and you’re all set.
Method 2. Compressing The Video File Using Handbrake
Looking for a solution to personalize your video compression process beyond QuickTime Player’s limited options? HandBrake is your answer. This powerful, open-source app offers a wide range of customization options so you can get your desired compression result every time. Try HandBrake today!
- To begin with, open HandBrake app.
- Hit Open Source and load the video you wish to compress.
- Select the Preset menu and choose one of the presets to compress the video.
- Then, you can customize any other options as your wish.
- Once done, hit Start to begin the compression process.
How To Compress A Video on Android
Wondering to reduce the video file through your phone? It’s actually doable! You can try the Video Compress app to get things done. This is the guide to using this app.
- Make sure you already download the Video Compress app.
- Once it’s installed, open the app and allow it to access your files.
- Select the video you wish to compress and hit Compress Video.
- Now, tap on the compression option you are okay with.
- The app will start compressing your video.
- Configure your process settings by utilizing the Custom tab located at the top.
How To Compress A Video on iPhone
Compressing video on iPhone requires different tools and methods. If you want to do it on your iPhone, make sure you install the Video Compress app and follow the steps below.
- Open the compression app and hit the red icon in the middle of the screen.
- Allow the app to access your files.
- Then, select the video in your camera roll that you want to convert.
- Tap on the checkmark at the upper corner.
- Afterward, move the slider to specify the compression area for your video.
- If you’re happy with the result, tap the icon in the upper-right corner.
- Finally, hit Save to save your compressed video to the camera roll.
That’s how to compress a video on a PC or mobile phone. Compressing a video can help to reduce its file size and make it easier to share and store.
However, it’s worth highlighting that it is important to strike a balance between file size and video quality to ensure that the compressed video still looks good and is suitable for its intended use.
FREE AUTO Highlights CLIPPER Software
Eklipse.gg is an AI highlight generator and online video editor that clip your streams automatically and converts them to TikTok easily.
Almira spends most of her time reading, writing, and playing games with her cats. She enjoys playing console games like GTA and Resident Evil. But among all those popular games, it’s always Cooking Mama that captures her heart.