If you’re a creator looking to expand your reach and engage with a larger audience, Instagram Reels should be on top of your list. These short, captivating videos have taken the platform by storm, offering immense potential for brand promotion and visibility.
In this Instagram Reels getting started guide, we’ll walk you through everything you need to know to create your viral content; from creating your first reel to optimizing it for maximum impact.
What Are Instagram Reels?
Instagram Reels are full-screen vertical videos that can last up to 90 seconds if you record them directly within the app or up to 15 minutes for pre-shot videos.
The feature comes with a plethora of unique editing tools and an extensive library of audio tracks, ranging from trending songs to snippets of viral content created by other users. In addition to audio, Reels allow you to incorporate multiple video clips, filters, captions, interactive backgrounds, stickers, and more.
Unlike Instagram Stories, Reels don’t disappear after 24 hours. Once you post a Reel, it remains on your profile until you decide to delete it. This extended visibility, along with its current favoritism by the Instagram algorithm, makes Reels a powerful tool for social marketers to reach new audiences beyond their existing followers.
How to Make a Reel on Instagram in 5 Steps
Creating an Instagram Reel is straightforward, especially if you’re familiar with Instagram or TikTok. Follow these five simple steps to get started:
Step 1: Tap the Plus Icon and Select “Reel”
To begin, open the Instagram app and go to your profile page. Click the plus icon on the top right of the screen and choose “Reel” from the options.
Alternatively, you can access the Reels editor by swiping left to the Instagram camera and selecting “Reel” from the bottom menu.
Step 2: Record or Upload Your Video Clip
Instagram Reels provides two options for creating your content:
- Press and hold the record button to capture footage in real-time.
- Upload pre-recorded video clips from your camera roll.
You can record Reels in a series of clips or all at once. Setting a timer allows for hands-free recording with a countdown before it starts.
The “Align” button appears after recording your first clip, enabling seamless transitions between clips.
Step 3: Edit Your Reel
After recording your content, use the editing icons at the top of the editor to enhance your Reel:
- Audio (1): Choose from the Instagram music library or import your own audio to add to your video.
- Length (2): Adjust the video length to 15, 30, 60, or 90 seconds.
- Speed (3): Speed up or slow down your video for creative effects.
- Layout (4): Customize the layout and include multiple recordings in one frame.
- Timer (5): Set a timer for hands-free recording with a time limit for each clip.
- Dual (6): Record using both front and rear cameras simultaneously.
- Align (7): Align objects from the previous clip for smooth transitions.
You can also add trending sounds or music to your Reel and download it to your device for viewing or further editing.
Step 4: Adjust Your Reel’s Settings
Once you finish editing, tap “Next” in the bottom right corner to adjust your Reel’s settings:
- Edit your Reel cover by choosing a frame from the video or adding an image from your camera roll.
- Add a caption to engage your audience.
- Tag relevant people in your Reel.
- Include a location for better discoverability.
- Enable Facebook recommendations to extend reach beyond Instagram users.
- Rename your audio if you’ve added a custom sound.
- Decide whether to post your Reel to your Instagram Feed or just the Reels tab on your account.
Step 5: Post Your Reel
After adjusting the settings, tap the “Share” button at the bottom of the screen to publish your Reel. Congratulations, you’ve just posted your first Reel!
Instagram Reels Dimensions
To ensure your Reels look appealing and perform well, it’s essential to use the right dimensions:
- Reel Frames and Cover: Opt for 1080 pixels by 1920 pixels.
- Thumbnail: Make sure your Reel’s thumbnail fits the ideal size of 1080 pixels by 1080 pixels.
- Reels Ratio: For the best experience, use a ratio of 9:16 for full-screen viewing. Keep in mind that Instagram crops Reels to a 4:5 ratio when shown in the main feed, so avoid placing crucial information near the edges of the frame to avoid cutoff issues.
5 Tips for Making Viral Reels
Using Instagram Reels is an excellent strategy for creators to expand their audience effectively. This feature not only aids in growing your follower base but also enhances engagement rates.
However, achieving viral success on Instagram Reels requires more than just luck; it demands an understanding of the tactics that can make your content go viral. Here are 5 tip sin Instagram Reels getting started guide so you can create a viral content.
- Understand the Instagram Reels algorithm to optimize visibility.
- Utilize trending audio in your Reels to attract more views and engagement.
- Avoid being too salesy in your content; focus on entertaining your audience.
- Post consistently to improve your chances of going viral and gather valuable insights.
- Collaborate with other creators using the Collabs feature to extend your reach and engagement.
More on Eklipse Blog >> 5 Reels Online Video Editors – Best Free Alternatives
That’s all you need to know in this Instagram Reels getting started guide. By following these steps and optimizing your Reels for the perfect dimensions, you’ll be on your way to creating engaging content and growing your audience on Instagram.
Boost Your Streaming Presence in Social Media with AI Highlights
Eklipse help streamer improve their social media presence with AI highlights that clip your Twitch / Kick streams automatically & converts them to TikTok / Reels / Shorts
Tech writer, gaming, streaming, gadgets. A decade’s experience. Informative, engaging.
Featured in web publications. Reviews new products. Loves gaming, tinkering.