Being a “creator” is a big deal on TikTok. Creators are responsible for the trends, challenges, and viral videos that generate billions of views and ad revenue on the platform. To show appreciation for their impact, TikTok has introduced the TikTok Creator Fund, a financial support program for top-tier content creators. In this post, we’ll explain how the Creator Fund works and whether it’s worth joining.
What is the TikTok Creator Fund?
The TikTok Creator Fund is an official fund established by the app to compensate creators for their content. It aims to reward users for their incredible TikTok videos and creativity. Here are some key details about the Creator Fund:
- Established in 2020 with an initial investment of $200 million, TikTok’s goal is to grow the Fund to over $1 billion within three years.
- Compensation and eligibility for the Creator Fund are based on a creator’s metrics, such as views and engagement.
- The Fund’s mission is to provide creators with the means to earn livelihoods and spark careers on TikTok.
- TikTok welcomes creators of all types, not just beauty/fashion vloggers or influencers.
- The Fund emphasizes the importance of original and authentic content that aligns with TikTok’s mission of inspiring joy and creativity.
- TikTok Creator Fund focuses on compensating creators for organic content, not sponsored content like the TikTok Creator Marketplace, where brands hire and pay creators for promotional posts.
What’s the purpose of the TikTok Creator Fund?
TikTok states that the Fund is designed to support creators. However, there are additional motivations behind it, such as:
- Incentivizing more content creation: TikTok wants to encourage users to create more videos and spend more time on the app.
- Capitalizing on the popularity of influencers: TikTok aims to keep creators focused on seeking compensation on the platform, rather than seeking independent influencer contracts.
- Building rapport with creators and the public: Supporting creators and the creator economy can enhance TikTok’s reputation and generate positive buzz.
How to join the Creator Fund on TikTok
If you’re interested in joining the Creator Fund or want to learn more about it, here’s what you need to do:
- Meet the Fund’s eligibility requirements, which include having at least 10,000 followers, 100,000 views on your videos within the last 30 days, adhering to community guidelines, and publishing original content.
- Submit your Creator Fund application within the TikTok app. You can find the application under “Creator Tools” in your account settings. Note that you must be accepted into the Creator Next platform before joining the Creator Fund.
Pros and Cons of the TikTok Creator Fund
Considering whether to join the Fund? Here are the pros and cons to help you decide:
- You get paid for your content, even if the compensation may not be significant.
- Joining the Fund doesn’t affect your content or engagement.
- The Fund doesn’t restrict you from other partnerships or contracts.
- Payments may not be substantial compared to other avenues like the Creator Marketplace or independent brand partnerships.
- Income from the Fund can be inconsistent, and the compensation formula lacks transparency.
- Joining the Fund doesn’t directly increase your TikTok followers or visibility.
If you’re a TikToker interested in getting paid for your content, joining the Creator Fund is worth considering. TikTok wants to financially support creators, and as the Fund evolves, there may be more opportunities and better compensation. Stay updated on the latest TikTok trends and marketing strategies to make the most of your TikTok journey.
A gaming writer and Twitch community management expert. My entertaining and informative content provides value to readers looking to improve their streaming setup or stay up-to-date with the latest gaming trends