After introducing the Twitch Guest Star feature in June 2022, the company launched another Twitch new feature called Shoutout in September. As the name suggests, this feature aims to ‘shoutout’ Twitch users from chat without any help from external bots.
As a result, you can definitely support other Twitch streamers by attracting other users to follow their channel. Thankfully, we have covered everything about this feature. Just read on below.
Shoutout: A Twitch New Feature
Alright…alright, we know that many of you have been wondering about this new feature since it has just launched on September 28. The shoutout feature allows the creators to ‘share the love’ and highlight notable members in the chat room. In another word, you are able to share a follow button directly in chat so that it can prompt others to follow the channel right away.
To be able to use this feature, you’ll only need to type “/shoutout” followed by the name of the Twitch user you are giving a shoutout to in a chatroom. Upon doing this, the user’s name will pop up on the top of the chat room so that the viewers can see this. Watch the video below to make it clear.
Who Can Use The Shoutout Feature?
The shoutout feature is currently only accessible to creators and mods. This has been done to prevent other viewers from spamming the chat box. However, the creators or broadcasters can deploy external bots to modify the feature as well.
In addition, the Twitch mods can generate auto shoutouts so that streamers no longer need to manually type the command.
How To Add the Shoutout Command on Twitch
There are three ways you should do if you want to set up the Shoutout command. Let’s get a closer look at the guide below.
Step 1. Mod The Bot
Before setting up the command, you’ll need a third-party bot. In this article, we’re going to guide you to use Nightbot. Here’s how to mod it in your Twitch chat.
- Start off by heading to the Nightbot site and log in to your account.
- Alternatively, you can create your account (if you haven’t).
- Then, hop on to the Twitch site and log in to your account.
- Navigate to Profile Picture icon > Creator Dashboard > Chat Box.
- Afterward, type in /mod nightbot to mod the bot in your Twitch chat.
- Once done, you are now allowed to use commands in your stream.
Step 2. Add the Shoutout Command in Nightbot
Move on to the next step, now you need to custom command in Nightbot. To add it, follow the steps below.
- Go to Nightbot.
- Next up, navigate to the Commands option > Custom.
- Hit the Add Command button.
- Then, fill the Command section with !so to activate the Shoutout command.
- In the Message section, add some codes which return the user’s channel you’re shouting out.
- Try to write this code > Go check out $(touser) at Twitch.tv/$(touser), or you can customize it yourself.
- Once done, you can set who can use the command under the Userlevel section. It’s best to set it to Moderator.
- As for the Cooldown and Alias section, you can leave these sections blank.
Step 3 – Test the Command
Finally, to see that the command is working, go to the Twitch chat and type in !so [streamer username] in the chat box. Then, the command will return the streamer’s username along with their Twitch channel link.
Since shoutout as the Twitch new feature has been officially kicking off, you can support other streamers even more. It’s definitely a great idea, so no wonder many Twitch users are impressed by this feature.
Now, the supported gesture isn’t only limited to cheering them with bits or sending donations, but by promoting other streamers in the chat room using this feature as well. Thoughts? Leave your comment below.
Almira spends most of her time writing and reading some interesting books. She also loves games and cats.