Sometimes, it can feel uncomfortable to expose every aspect of your surroundings to viewers, particularly in formal settings. This is where cropping comes in handy. By utilizing OBS Studio, you can conveniently crop your webcam footage, eliminating any unnecessary or distracting elements.
We have provided a set of clear instructions below to guide you through the process of cropping your webcam using OBS.
Using Alt Method
This is the easiest way to crop your webcam in OBS Studio. You can follow our guide below:
- Open OBS and launch your webcam.
- Hold down the Alt key on your keyboard.
- Left-click on your webcam feed.
- While holding Alt, drag the mouse cursor to resize the webcam frame according to your desired size.
- Release the mouse button and Alt key when you are satisfied with the crop.
Using Transform Cropping
The Edit Transform menu provides a precise cropping feature, enabling you to select the exact number of pixels to remove from each side. Additionally, the Transform window grants you control over the precise positioning and size of the webcam. Here is how to do it:
- Select the desired source you wish to crop.
- Right-click on the image displayed within the preview window.
- Left-click on “Edit Transform” to access the cropping settings. Alternatively, you can use the shortcut Ctrl + E.
- In the Edit Transform window, navigate to the bottom section where the cropping settings are located.
- Adjust the cropping area using the options for Left, Right, Top, and Bottom.
- You can enter specific values into the provided boxes for precise cropping.
- Alternatively, you can click on the arrow buttons to make incremental adjustments to the crop.
- Once you have achieved the desired crop, click “OK” to save the changes.
Abstract Shape Webcam Crop Masks
Some streamers opt for abstract shapes to enhance their camera presentation, allowing the webcam to seamlessly integrate into overlay designs. To achieve unique camera shapes, the image mask filter comes into play.
This filter utilizes a black and white image to define a mask for the webcam. The white areas in the image remain visible, while the black areas are cropped out. Follow these steps to implement abstract shape webcam crop masks:
- Right-click on the webcam source to access the filter menu. Choose the “Filter” option, which displays all audio and effect filters for the layer.
- Under the Effect Filters panel, click the plus icon to add the “Image Mask/Blend” filter.
- Make sure the type is set to “Alpha Mask (Color Channel)” and the color is set to white, as these are the default settings.
- Click the “Browse” button to open the file explorer window.
- Locate and open the desired mask image file. Once loaded, the webcam will be masked accordingly.
For creating a mask, the recommended approach is to utilize a raster graphics editor like Photoshop. It’s advisable to match the mask’s size with your OBS canvas resolution, which is typically set to 1920 pixels wide by 1080 high.
Resizing Webcam Size in OBS
Resizing your webcam in OBS differs from cropping, as it involves scaling the entire source rather than cutting off a portion. This resizing capability is particularly useful when you need to neatly position your camera behind an overlay.
To resize your camera, simply click and drag one of the sides or corners. The source will automatically maintain its aspect ratio. If you wish to change the ratio, hold the Shift key while scaling the source.
For precise sizing adjustments, you can utilize the Edit Transform window. The quickest way to access this window is by pressing Ctrl + E on your keyboard. From there, you can make exact sizing changes to ensure your webcam fits perfectly in your streaming setup.
The crop feature in OBS is quick to learn and incredibly useful for streaming or recording content. It allows you to make adjustments to your camera and crop out unnecessary visual elements. This feature gives you more control and customization options, especially when setting up advanced scenes in OBS. Take advantage of the crop feature to enhance your streaming experience and create captivating content!
A gaming writer and Twitch community management expert. My entertaining and informative content provides value to readers looking to improve their streaming setup or stay up-to-date with the latest gaming trends