In this article, we will present you with five highly effective methods to tackle the OBS game capture black screen problem.
By implementing these strategies, you’ll be able to capture your gameplay smoothly and bid farewell to the frustrating black screen issue.
So, let’s delve into the solutions and get your game capture up and running flawlessly!
1. Choose Game Capture with a Specific Window
To begin, it’s essential to opt for the Game Capture mode in OBS, specifically selecting a specific window instead of alternative capturing methods.
This step is crucial because certain game software may not display correctly when captured in full-screen mode. Follow the instructions below to configure this setting precisely:
How to Choose Game Capture with Specific Window
- Launch OBS.
- Instead of using “Game Capture” select the “Window Capture” option.
- Choose the window of your game
- Right-click on the source dock and choose “Transform,” followed by “Reset Transform.”
- Click the Transform button again and select “Center to screen.”
2. Run OBS as Administrator
If you’re experiencing a black screen issue while capturing games with OBS, it’s possible that OBS is being blocked.
To overcome this obstacle, running OBS as an administrator is crucial. By granting OBS administrative privileges, you ensure smooth game capture without any hindrances. Here are two simple methods to achieve this:
How to Run OBS as Administrator
Method 1: Locate the OBS Studio icon, right-click on it, and choose “Run as administrator.”
Method 2: Right-click on the OBS Studio icon, select “Properties,” go to the “Compatibility” tab, and enable the “Run this program as an administrator” option.
After running OBS as an administrator, restart OBS Studio and verify if you can now capture gameplay without encountering the black screen issue.
It’s worth noting that this method also applies to resolving issues related to capturing game audio in OBS, as capturing game audio also necessitates administrative privileges.
3. Switch GPU
Another possible cause for OBS recording a black screen is when your computer utilizes two GPUs: dedicated and integrated graphics cards.
If OBS Studio is set to use the integrated GPU while the game software relies on the dedicated GPU, it results in the black screen problem. To resolve this, you need to adjust the GPU settings in OBS Studio accordingly.
How to Switch GPU to fix Game Capture not Working on OBS
- On Windows, open the Start menu
- Select “Settings” > “Display” > “Advanced Graphics.”
- Locate OBS Studio among the listed applications on your desktop.
- Click the “Options” button
- Choose “High performance”
- Set it as the dedicated graphics card. (Ex: NVidia RTX 3060)
- Save the changes, restart your computer, and launch OBS Studio.
4. Enable Compatibility Mode
Compatibility issues can also lead to the OBS game capture black screen problem. In such cases, enabling compatibility mode can be an effective solution. Here’s how you can enable compatibility mode to fix OBS not capturing the game:
How to Enable Compatibility Mode to fix Game Capture not Working on OBS
- Right-click on the OBS icon on your desktop.
- Select Properties” from the context menu to open the OBS Studio Properties window.
- Navigate to the “Compatibility” tab within the Properties window.
- Enable the “Run this program in compatibility mode for” option.
- Click the dropdown menu and select the appropriate operating system.
- Click “Apply” to save the changes.
- Restart OBS Studio and check if the black screen issue while capturing the game has been resolved.
In conclusion, capturing gameplay videos with OBS can be frustrating when the game capture is not working and encountering the black screen issue.
However, there are four methods outlined in this article that you can try to overcome this problem and enjoy seamless game capture.
Next Thing After Fixing Your OBS
After fixing your game capture, now it’s time to take your streaming journey to the next level!
Tech writer, gaming, streaming, gadgets. A decade’s experience. Informative, engaging.
Featured in web publications. Reviews new products. Loves gaming, tinkering.