Instagram, with over two billion monthly users, introduced Reels in response to TikTok’s success. Reels are short, engaging vertical videos. They’ve become a key format for collaborations between marketers and creators.
Reels are incredibly engaging, receiving 22% more engagement than other video posts. It’s a great time to start using them. In this guide, we’ll walk you through creating an Instagram Reel step by step.
What are Instagram Reels, and why should you use them?
Instagram Reels are short, entertaining videos similar to TikTok’s format. They allow you to easily create and edit videos with features like music and captions. Using Reels can help increase your audience, reach, and even give you a chance to go viral.
Although Instagram hasn’t explicitly stated that the algorithm prioritizes Reels, it’s clear that video is their priority. They have even tested turning all Instagram videos into Reels. Accounts that haven’t embraced this content format are feeling the impact. Additionally, Reels are the most discoverable content format on Instagram and can be shared and featured in Stories, a Reels-only tab, the Explore page, and the regular feed.
Creating a Reel on Instagram
Creating a new type of content can be intimidating, but it doesn’t have to be. With Reels, the reward is worth the learning curve. Let’s walk through the process of making an Instagram Reel and share tips on how to make it stand out.
Step 1: Set a strategy
The key to successful Reels, like any other content, is to let your brand’s voice and values guide you. Consider the following when creating your strategy:
- Set your goals: Determine what you want to achieve with Reels, such as increasing engagement or reach.
- Know your audience: Understand what topics, styles, and sounds appeal to your audience.
- Form your content topics and themes: Reels can be educational, funny, dramatic, or inspiring. Look at your top-performing content to identify what works.
- Do your research: Learn from your competitors and identify gaps you can fill.
Step 2: Gather your footage
To start creating a Reel, open Instagram and tap the “+” button in the upper right corner. There are two ways to gather footage for your Reel: filming or using existing footage.
- Filming new footage: Use the recording button to start filming. Explore the tools on the side of the screen to enhance your content, such as adding music, adjusting speed, or using layout mode.
- Using existing footage: Repurpose videos or photos you already have. You can also upload horizontal videos and convert them into vertical, full-screen content.
Step 3: Editing your Instagram Reel
Once you have your footage, it’s time to edit your Reel. Tap “Next” to start the editing process. You can:
- Edit the length and order of your clips: Shorten clips or rearrange their order.
- Add music or sounds: Choose from Instagram’s music library, record a voiceover, or add sound effects.
- Add closed captions: Enhance accessibility and engagement by adding closed captions to your video.
- Customize your video with text: Use the text feature to add captions or other text elements.
- Add filters and AR effects: Enhance your Reel with aesthetic filters or fun AR effects.
Step 4: Preparing and sharing your Reel
Before publishing your Reel, complete these important preparation steps:
- Edit your cover: Choose a moment from your Reel or upload a relevant image as your cover.
- Write a caption: Keep it short and sweet.
- Choose whether to share your Reel to your Feed: Sharing to your Feed can increase your reach.
Once your Reel is prepped, you can publish it immediately, save it as a draft, or schedule it for later.
Creating Instagram Reels may require some practice, but it’s a great way to engage with your audience in a new way. Use this guide to make the process easier and start connecting with your audience through Reels.
A gaming writer and Twitch community management expert. My entertaining and informative content provides value to readers looking to improve their streaming setup or stay up-to-date with the latest gaming trends