Audio streaming quality is a crucial factor for a successful live stream, and audio plays a huge role in enhancing the viewer’s experience. That’s why you have to choose the best microphone for streaming.
How to Choose a Streaming Microphone
When selecting a microphone for live streaming, consider these five characteristics:
- Frequency Response: Look for a microphone with a frequency response ranging from 20 Hz to 20,000 Hz. This range captures the full spectrum of voice frequencies and ensures high-quality sound.
- Condenser vs. Dynamic: Microphones are either condenser mics or dynamic mics. Condenser mics offer excellent sound quality but are less durable. Dynamic mics are more robust and suitable for louder environments.
- Polar Pattern: The polar pattern determines the microphone’s sensitivity to the direction of audio waves. Cardioid polar pattern is ideal for isolating unwanted ambient sounds.
- Connection Method: Consider whether you need an XLR or USB connection based on your setup requirements. XLR connections offer better sound control but require additional equipment.
- Pop Filter: A pop filter eliminates popping sounds caused by airflow, resulting in clearer voice recordings.
Best Microphones for Streaming
1. Shure SM7B
– High rejection of background noise
– Great durability
– High-quality sound
– High price
– Requires additional gear (stand, XLR cable, audio interface)
2. Shure MV7
– Dual connection (USB or XLR)
– Robust ShurePlus MOTIV software included
– High-quality vocal audio
Mic stand not included
3. Audio-Technica AT2020
– Reasonable price
– Great durability
– USB option
– No XLR cable included
4. Blue Yeti USB
– Relatively cheap
– Easy to connect
– Polar pattern switcher
– Has to be kept strictly upright
5. Blue Yeti X
– Lots of customization options Sleek design with LED lights – Four recording modes
– Doesn’t come with a pop filter Not adapted for standard mic stands
6. Elgato Wave:3
- Compact design
- USB-C port
- Digital mixing software
- Single polar pattern
7. HyperX QuadCast S
- Built-in pop shield
- Clear sound LED lighting Low price
8. Razer Seiren V2 Pro
- Powerful Razer
- Synapse software
- Durable mic stand
- Low-latency monitoring
9. Rode PodMic
- Solidly built mic that holds a rigid position
- Good for streamers or content creators who don’t have a good recording environment
- Affordable in comparison to quality
10. Samson Go
- Mac and PC compatible
- Comes with carrying case and clips onto your laptop
When choosing a streaming microphone, ensure it meets your frequency response and connection method requirements while also considering its polar pattern and built-in features like pop filters.
By carefully evaluating these characteristics, you can select the best microphone that aligns with your streaming needs and budget.
As a streamer, you know the importance of captivating your audience and keeping them engaged. But with hours of footage to sift through, creating highlight reels can be a time-consuming task. Eklipse, the AI-powered highlight generator, is here to revolutionize your streaming experience by automatically selecting and editing the best moments from your streams.
Eklipse’s cutting-edge AI algorithms intelligently scan your streams, identifying key moments of gameplay, hilarious bloopers, and chat interactions that will resonate with your viewers. It’s like having an expert editor at your fingertips, working tirelessly to curate the most exciting and engaging content from your streams.
Tech writer, gaming, streaming, gadgets. A decade’s experience. Informative, engaging.
Featured in web publications. Reviews new products. Loves gaming, tinkering.